Founded: March, 2006
CEO: Jack Dorsey
Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
Employees: 1,300 (source)
Quick Twitter Statistics
Total Number of Monetizable Daily Active Users:
237.8 million (source)
Last updated: 6/03/23
Total Number of Tweets Sent per Day:
500 million (source)
Last updated: 6/03/23
Q2 2022 Total Twitter Revenue:
Last updated: 6/03/23
Leading Country Based on the Number of Twitter Users:
The U.S. (source)
Last updated: 6/03/23
- 1% of Twitter users are male, and 31.9% are female.
- 6% of Twitter users are 25-34 years old.
- 2% of Twitter users are 18-24 years old.
- Around 77% of Americans use Twitter.
- Worldwide 2022 Q2 average monetizable daily active usage (mDAU) was 8 million, up 16.6% compared to Q2 of the prior year.
- MDAUs make up 55% of total users.
- 2022 Q2 average international mDAU was 3 million, up 17.0% compared to Q2 of the prior year.
- In the US in Q2 2022, there were 5 million monetizable daily active users (mDAU), up 14.7% compared to Q2 of the prior year.
- Around 1 in 5 (23%) of U.S. adults say they use Twitter.
- 87% of Canadian adults use Twitter.
- 42% of Twitter users have a college education.
- Leading countries based on the number of Twitter users are the U.S. (77 million users), Japan (59 million users) and India (24 million users).
Number of annual Twitter total users
Number of users (In millions)
Twitter Financial Statistics
- Twitter net worth is $35B.
- Total Twitter 2022 revenue was $4.4 billion, which was a decrease of 11% from 2021’s $5.08 billion.
- Q2 2022 Twitter revenue totalled $1.18 million, as opposed to 2021’s 1’s $1.57 billion, which is a decrease of 1% year-over-year.
- Advertising revenue in Q2 2022 totalled $1.08 billion, an increase of 2%, or 6% on a constant currency basis.
- Subscription and other revenue in Q2 2022 totalled $101 million, a decrease of 27% year-over-year.
Twitter revenue per year
Revenue in USD
Twitter Usage Statistics
- In 2022, the average US adult spent 8 minutes on Twitter per day.
- 391 million Twitter accounts have no followers at all.
- 55% of Twitter users log into Twitter each day.
- Around seven-in-ten U.S. Twitter users (69%) say they get news on the site.
- There are 500 million tweets sent per day.
- 80% of Twitter usage happens on mobile devices.
Twitter Advertising Statistics
- Twitter ads reach 8% of the world population over age 13.
- Average Twitter Ads ROI is 40% higher than other channels.
- Around 164 million ads are shown on Twitter daily.
- The biggest Twitter advertising reach is in the U.S., followed by Japan and India.
- 66% of brands with over 100 employees use Twitter for marketing purposes.
- Twitter turned 17 in March 2023.
- American Twitter users are more likely to be Democrats than Republicans.
- Twitter suspended 44,000 accounts for promoting terrorism in 2021.
- Every month, around 500 million people access Twitter without logging in.
- The best performing Tweets are only 50-100 characters.
- The most tweeted emojis of 2022 😂 and 😭
- @BarackObama is the most followed person on Twitter with 134 million followers.
- @justinbieber is the most followed musician/ entertainer on Twitter with 113 million followers.
- @Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed sports personality on Twitter with 107 million followers.
- @cnnbrk (CNN Breaking News) is the most followed news outlet on Twitter, with 62 million followers.
- 44% of all Twitter accounts have been created and left without ever sending a Tweet.
- The average person has 707 followers on Twitter.
- 19% of people will unfollow a brand on Twitter based on poor hashtag usage.
- As of February 2022, the governments of China, Iran, Myanmar, North Korea, Russia, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan have blocked access to Twitter.
- Tweets with GIFs get 55% more engagement than those without. However, only 2% of Tweets contain GIFs.
- Twitter is one of the preferred social network for news consumption.
- 90% of the US population is familiar with Twitter (even if they don’t use it.)
Twitter Statistics (Editor’s choice)
1. Number of Twitter users
There are currently 237.8 million monetizable daily active users on Twitter (Twitter).
Twitter’s numbers have been on a gradual rise ever since its launch back in 2006, apart from a few drops from 2015. This trend would continue until the platform hit its peak in Q1 2018 when it clocked in 336 million monthly active users.
The platform hit a downward trend, and by the end of 2018, the numbers fell to 321 million monthly active users. Twitter reported that the decline in the number of monthly active users was mainly related to its crackdown on spam and bot accounts.
What followed was a slight recovery to 330 million monthly active users in Q1 2019, after which Twitter changed its reporting method to ‘Monetizable Daily Active Users’. The numbers thereafter would be reported as 145 million in “mDAUs” in Q3 2019.
The latest figures indicate that the average monetizable daily active usage (mDAU) was 237.8 million, up 16.6% compared to Q2 of the prior year.
2. USA leads with the highest number of Twitter users in the world
The U.S. was the country with the highest number of Twitter users for the previous year with 41.5 million mDAUs (Twitter).
The U.S. also has the most Twitter users in the world, with an audience reach of 77 million.
3. Twitter demographics: Age
Most of Twitter’s audience is 25 to 34 years old (26.66.6%).
While TikTok and Snapchat have snapped up the younger generation, Twitter also has its target crowd that it appeals to. According to the latest statistics from Statista, it is pretty clear that Twitter appeals to a more mature audience than Snapchat or Instagram.
4. Daily Tweet statistics
On average, 500 million tweets are shared every day. This can be further broken down to 6,000 tweets per second, 350,000 tweets per minute, and around 200 billion tweets every year.
The first tweet was sent on March 21, 2006, by Jack Dorsey, the creator of Twitter. It wasn’t until May 2009 that Twitter will have seen 1 billion tweets being shared. Today, it only takes at most two days to get a billion tweets shared on the platform.According to Twitter, the daily limit per user is 2,400 tweets.
5. Twitter business statistics
Businesses on Twitter have a few advantages as opposed to those who market on other social media platforms.
For instance, Twitter drives 2.2% greater sales through synergy with online video and paid search compared to other social platforms.
What’s more, 93% of people that follow small and medium-sized businesses on Twitter plan to buy from them, according to a joint study conducted by Twitter and Research Now. Consequently, 69% of Twitter users claim have bought from SMBs whose content they saw on the platform.
For their overall marketing strategy, businesses should use platforms that correlate the best with Twitter in terms of audience overlap, such as Facebook and YouTube, according to Hootsuite.
6. Ad engagement on Twitter
In Q2 2022, mDAUs were up 16.6% compared to Q2 of the prior year.
On average, exposure to Twitter Ads drive +153% incremental lift in Tweet conversation.
Twitter continues to grow as the marketing hub for business owners. However, the company hints to marketers that different content types perform and would cost differently when used to advertise.
For instance, according to a report by Twitter, videos optimized for Twitter drive an increase of 33% in emotional engagement.
7. The most popular content on Twitter
97% of people focus on visuals on Twitter, so it’s crucial that you include them in your ads/posts.
Twitter supports various forms of media, including images, text, GIFs, and video. By looking at video marketing statistics, it would be safe to claim that videos will soon take over online content marketing.
Ad engagements shift toward lower funnel ad formats and 15-second video views.
Moreover, the best performing Tweets are only 50-100 characters.
According to Twitter, it’s important to cap your video at 15-seconds or less to maximize branding impact and higher completion rates, as well as include clear branding within the first three seconds of the ad since video ads with clear logo placement drive 30% higher unaided brand recall.
8. Most popular emojis on Twitter
The most used emojis on the internet as of 2022 were (Face Holding Back Tears) and (Heart Hands).
Most twitted emojis in 2023 are 😂 (Face with Tears of Joy) and ❤️ (Red Heart).
Photo Credit: Unsplash