Founded: October 2010
CEO: Kevin Systrom
Headquarters: Menlo Park, CA
Quick Instagram Statistics
Total Number of Monthly Active Instagram Users:
2 billion+ (source)
Last updated: 22/02/22
Total Number of Daily Active Instagram Users:
1.9 billion (source)
Last updated: 28/06/21
Instagram Stories Daily Active Users:
500 million+ (source)
Last updated: 22/02/22
Number of Businesses on Instagram
200 million+ (source)
Last updated: 22/02/22
- 48.4% of all Instagram users are female while 51.6% are male.
- 31.2% of Instagram users are 25-34-year-olds.
- Out of the 25-34 age group, 16.4% are male and 14.8% are female users.
- 31% of Instagram users are 18-24 years old.
- Out of them, 17.9% are male, while 13.1% are female users.
- There are 123 million Instagram users from the U.S.
- 22.5% of U.S. Instagram users are 25-34 years old.
- 87% of users are outside the U.S.
- 17.6% of the world population uses Instagram.
- 73% of U.S. teens say Instagram is the best way for brands to reach them about new products or promotions.
- Instagram users spend an average of 30 minutes per day on the platform in 2021.
- 25% of U.S. teenagers say Instagram is their preferred social media platform.
Number of Instagram monthly active users
Number of monthly users (In millions)
*No official figures reported
Instagram for Business
- An estimated 71% of U.S businesses claim to use Instagram for Business.
- Annual Instagram advertising revenue is around $26.46 billion in 2021.
- 200 million+ Instagrammers visit at least one business profile daily.
- 70% of shopping enthusiasts turn to Instagram for product discovery.
- There are 500,000 active influencers on Instagram.
- 96% of US marketers surveyed plan to continue using Stories ads in the next 6 months.
- 1/3 of the most viewed stories are from businesses.
- Influencer marketing takes up more than half of the marketing budget for 17% of marketers.
- 55.4% of Influencers use Instagram Stories for sponsored campaigns.
- 25% of sponsored posts on Instagram are fashion-related.
- Business accounts with fewer than 10,000 followers have an average engagement rate of 1.11%.
Instagram’s Influencer Statistics
- Christiano Ronaldo is the most followed individual on Instagram with 290 million followers.
- Instagram is the preferred social media channel for brands who engage in Influencer Marketing, with 79% of them doing so.
- 18% of marketers believe Instagram offers the best influencer marketing ROI.
- 37% of Instagram users interact with influencers.
- The most expensive Instagram influencer by average post cost is Dwayne Johnson who charges $1.015 million per post.
- Zara was the most mentioned brand on Instagram in 2021.
- Marketers can make $5.20 for every $1 invested in influencer marketing.
- There are half a million influencers whose preferred and only channel of influence is Instagram.
- The Instagram explore page is viewed by 200 million accounts daily.
- The most liked photo on Instagram is a photo of an egg with 55+ million likes.
- More than 50 billion photos have been uploaded to Instagram so far.
- 50% of Instagram users use explore page every month.
- Posts With a Location Get 79% more engagement.
- 60% of people say they discover new products on Instagram.
- Photos with faces get 38% more likes.
- Posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement.
- Most-used Giphy sticker in Stories is by Red and Howling
- Women use Instagram 56.5% more than men in the U.S.
- Instagram users engage more on weekdays with Wednesday and Thursday showing most engagement.
- More than half of Instagram Captions & Comments Contain Emojis.
- Instagram videos get over 2 times more engagement than Instagram photos.
- The most popular hashtags on Instagram are #Love, #Instagood, #Photooftheday, #Fashion, and #Beautiful.
- The most popular hashtag on Instagram is #Love, used 1.835+ billion times.
- Pizza is the most Instagrammed food globally, followed by Sushi.
- Nano-influencers(500-5k followers) make an average of $114 per video post on Instagram, compared with $100 for an image post and $43 for a story.
- Power users(30k-500k followers) make an average of $775 for an Instagram video, $507 for an image post and $210 for a story.
- 68% of people come to Instagram to interact with creators.
- IGTV app has 7 million installs worldwide.
- There were 5 million uploaded videos within the first 24 hours after Instagram announced the video feature in 2013.
Instagram Statistics 2021 (Editor’s choice)
1. Instagram user statistics
There are 2 billion active monthly users on Instagram in 2021 (Statista, 2021), having crossed the 2 billion mark in 2021, only 3 years after it crossed the 1 billion mark. This brings it to the super-league club of other social platforms like Facebook and YouTube.
Current Instagram figures show an increase of a billion users than the total numbers in 2018. Although experts had previously expected the platform to hit this milestone in 2024, analysts attribute a big part of this massive growth to the coronavirus pandemic, which drove users to sign up for Instagram.
While Instagram is only a photo-sharing platform once only popular with teens, it has grown to become one of the most popular social media sites in the world.
2. Instagram Demographics: Location
As of January 2022, India and the United States of America both tied at the top as the countries with the highest number of Instagram users at 230 and 160 million users each (Statista, 2022).
Based on these numbers, it is clear that the audience and reach of the platform are growing at a rapid pace in most countries outside the U.S. While the figures for the U.S do not seem to change, India recorded approximately 20 million new users between the period of October 2020 and January 2021 (Hootsuite, 2021) and then a 100 million more between 2021 and 2022 (Statista, 2021).
The other countries with the highest number of social media users besides the U.S and India are:
- Brazil – 119 million Instagram users
- Indonesia – 99 million Instagram users
- Russia – 63 million Instagram users
3. Instagram Demographics: Gender
51.6% of all Instagram users are female, while 48.4% are male (Statista, 2021).
Unlike other major social media platforms like Twitter which have a very wide gender gap among its users, Instagram appears well-balanced and embraced by both genders equally. More Instagram demographic insights to follow.
4. Instagram Demographics: Age
25–34-year-olds make up the age group with the most Instagram users at 31.2% (Statista, 2021).
According to the statistics, 18–24-year-olds are the second most populous group in the Instagram usage world.
65+ year-olds make up the least number of Instagram users at only 2.2%.
5. Countries with the highest Instagram reach
The country with the highest Instagram reach in 2022 is Brunei, with 92% (Statista, 2022).
Kazakhstan might not be the country with the most Instagram users, but it is the country where Instagram reaches the highest percentage of its population: 92% to be precise.
The other countries with the highest Instagram reach in 2022 are Guam and Cayman Islands.
6. Instagram app download statistics
Instagram had a total of 170 million downloads in Q4 2021 (SensorTower, 2022).
Besides Facebook, this is one other app that has consistently maintained the top five position, with the number of downloads for the last couple of years. The numbers are quite impressive, even with the entry of other more recent apps like TikTok.
7. How much time do users spend on Instagram?
Instagram users spent an average of 28 minutes per day on the platform in 2021 (Hootsuite, 2021).
This marks a decrease of about two minutes from 2020.
Do you think you also fall under the same category?
How much time do you spend on Instagram every day?
According to Facebook (Instagram’s parent company), you can see the average amount of time you spent on Instagram within the last 7 days. Time spent on Instagram starts when you open the app and ends when you close it or switch to using another app on your device.
8. Businesses on Instagram statistics
As Instagram becomes increasingly more popular, an estimated 71% of U.S businesses claimed to use Instagram for Business in 2018 (Mention, 2018). That’s approximately 7 out of 10 businesses that use Instagram to help boost their online visibility and connect with their audiences. Today, the number is even higher.
There are more than 200 million business accounts on Instagram globally that users visit every day (Instagram, 2021). This is quite possible, as 90% of Instagram users follow at least one brand.
With a good presence on Instagram, businesses can cater to their clients’ needs much easier, as 2 out of 3 Instagram users believe the platform enables interaction with brands (Instagram, 2021).
It is easy for users to shop directly from the app, and approximately 130 million Instagram users tap on shopping posts to learn more about the product every month.
Another noteworthy statistic is that 36.2% of B2B decision-makers use Instagram to research new products or services (Hootsuite/ WeAreSocial, 2020). These figures clearly indicate the power of Instagram as a crucial business tool in this digital era.
9. Instagram engagement rates
The average engagement rate for an Instagram post by a business account is 1.11%. That’s true for accounts with less than 10,000 followers. (SocialPilot, 2021).
These figures imply that for every 100 Instagram followers, you should expect at least engagement from one account. Engagement is currently the highest for image posts at 1.03%, followed by carousel posts at 0.86%. Videos receive the third-highest engagements on Instagram at 0.75%.
10. Instagram Stories statistics
According to Instagram, over 500 million accounts use Instagram Stories every day (Instagram, 2021).
58% of Instagram users claim to have become more interested in a brand/product after seeing it in Stories. A further 50% of them say they have visited a website to buy a product/service as a result of seeing it in Stories.
Furthermore, 45% of Instagram users prefer to use Stories to become aware of new trends and happenings.
We shouldn’t also forget that brand stories have an 86% completion rate, according to Conviva Social Insights.
Lastly, Instagram Stories generate a quarter of the platform’s ad revenues. This year, Stories ads are predicted to bring in almost $16 billion in global net ad revenues, according to eMarketer Insights.
These figures clearly indicate that as a business with an online presence on Instagram, it would be crucial to include Instagram Stories as a part of your content marketing strategies.
Note: Please link back to omnicoreagency.com and this page when you reference/quote the statistic.
Photo Credit: Unsplash