CEO: Mark Zuckerberg
Headquarters: 1 Hacker Way, Menlo Park, California 94025
Employees: 75,964 full-time employees (source)
Quick Facebook Statistics
Total Number of Monthly Active Users:
2.96 billion (source)
Last updated: 06/02/23
Total Number of Daily Active Users:
2 billion (source)
Last updated: 06/02/23
Total Number of Mobile Active Users:
98.5% of all Facebook users (source)
Last updated: 06/02/23
Total Number of Desktop Active Users:
1.5% of all Facebook users (source)
Last updated: 06/02/23
Country With the Most Facebook Users:
India, 329.65 million (source)
Last updated: 06/02/23
Full Year 2022 Revenue:
116.61 billion (source)
Last updated: 06/02/23
- 6% of Facebook users are male.
- 4% of Facebook users are female.
- The largest demographic group of Facebook users is between the ages of 25 and 35 years. 18.4% are male, and 12.6% of the population are female.
- Around 32% of U.S. teens use Facebook and only 2% of them use it almost constantly.
- Seniors aged 65+ and kids aged 13-17 are the smallest demographic groups on Facebook.
- 3% of Facebook users are 18-24 years of age.
- Almost 90% of Facebook’s daily active users come from outside the US/Canada.
- The largest population on Facebook is from India with almost 330 million users followed by 180 million from the U.S.
- Countries with over 100 million Facebook users include India (330), the U.S. (180), Indonesia (130), and Brazil (116).
Number of active Facebook users per year
Number of active users (In millions)
Facebook Advertising Statistics
- Facebook has over 10 million advertisers.
- For the full year 2022, Facebook ad impressions increased by 18% year-over-year and the average price per ad decreased by 16% year-over-year.
- Facebook ad revenue in Q4 2022 decreased and it was $32.17 billion. In Q4 2021 it was $32,64 billion.
- 180 million businesses use Facebook’s suite of apps to connect with customers and grow their brands.
- Facebook’s ad reach is is 27.2% on the global population over 13 years of age.
- Facebook’s global average revenue per user (ARPU) reached USD $9.82.
- Marketers can reach a potential audience of more than 2 billion users with ads on Fsceboo.
- The average Cost Per Click (CPC) on Facebook ads is $1.72, while the average Click Through Rate (CTR) is 0.9%. The average conversion rate (CVR) is 9.21%.
Facebook Financial Statistics
- Facebook Q4 2022 revenue was $32.17 billion.
- Facebook Q4 2022 net income was $4.65 billion.
- Facebook Q4 2022 advertising revenue was $33.23 billion.
- Facebook 2022 revenue was $116.61 billion with a 1% year-over-year change.
- Facebook 2022 net income was $23.20 billion.
- Facebook 2022 advertising revenue was $119.54 billion.
Facebook annual revenue
Revenue (In millions)
Table showing Facebook’s total earnings per year
Facebook usage statistics
- On average, users spend 7 hours a month on Facebook.
- In the U.S., users spend 33 minutes per day on Facebook.
- 1% of Facebook users only access the platform via mobile devices.
- Only 5% of the total Facebook users access the platform using a laptop or computer.
- 81% of all the adults in the U.S. have a Facebook account.
- There are more than 138 million users of Facebook Messenger in the U.S.
- Over 8 billion Facebook users have joined over 10 million Groups.
Facebook Live Statistics
- Live videos were found to be extremely effective by 24% of businesses.
- Facebook Live videos receive 10 times more comments than regular videos.
- 24% of Facebook users watch Facebook live.
- 35% of video marketers have used Facebook Live.
- 1 in 5 videos posted on Facebook are live videos.
- Facebook paid over $50 million to celebrities to use Facebook Live when it was introduced to promote it.
- Facebook Live videos are watched around 3X longer than regular videos.
- 82% of people prefer to see Livestream content from brands that regularly post social media posts.
- 76% broadcasters like to use Facebook live to cover an event.
- Over 100 million hours of video are watched on Facebook every day.
- 50 million enterprises use Facebook live.
- Mark Zuckerberg’s first idea was Facemash, a site that allowed users to compare people’s faces and pick ‘who’s hotter.’
- Zuckerberg’s second idea, ‘TheFacebook,’ was an online student directory for those at Havard.
- Facebook is the world’s third most visited website.
- Only half of the total Facebook users can speak English.
- There are over 100 languages that you can choose from on Facebook.
- You can find out how much time you spend on Facebook by clicking on the More menu, then go to Settings & Privacy. There you’ll find Your Time on Facebook.
- There are more than 300,000 active bots on Messenger.
- Facebook turns 19 years old in 2023.
- 36% of people get news from Facebook.
- 45% of new-music seekers aged 35-54 discover new music on Facebook.
- 500 million people use Facebook Stories daily.
- The largest Facebook Group is Deepika Sharma, with 7.9 million members.
- 3% of Facebook users use at least one other social media platform.
Facebook statistics (Editor’s choice)
1. How many people use Facebook?
There are 2.96 billion monthly active users on Facebook (Facebook).
Facebook’s initial mantra was to bring the world together, and in the 17 years it has been operational, it not only achieved that but also exploded in popularity.
Today, there are around 2 billion users visiting the platform daily. This includes other Facebook core products such as Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger.
Facebook first hit the one billion mark in October 2012 before crossing the two billion active user mark five years later in 2017.
2. Facebook was the fourth most downloaded app in 2022
Despite having been launched in 2004, Facebook remains one of the most downloaded apps in the world with 298 million downloads.
Leading social media apps worldwide in 2022 by downloads (Source: Statista)
Three other major Facebook-owned apps appeared on the list: Instagram on the first position, WhatsApp on the second, Instagram fourth, Facebook Messenger on the fifth position, and Facebook Lite on the seventh position.
Facebook has been a consistent contestant for the top ten list for several years despite the entrance of newer apps into the market. These figures only indicate how prevalent Facebook is in our day-to-day lives.
3. There are more male Facebook users than females
56.6% of the total Facebook audience is male, while only 43.4% identify as female (Facebook limits gender reporting to only male or female).
The largest demographic group of Facebook users is between the ages of 25 and 34 years. 18.4% are male, and 12.6% of the population are female.
Distribution of Facebook users worldwide by age and gender as of January 2022 (Source: Statista)
The only two demographic groups where there are more female Facebook users than male users are 65+ years with 2.8% females as opposed to 2.5% males and 55-64 years with 3.5% females and 3.3% males.
Surprisingly, a 2020 diversity report by Facebook indicated that there are more male staff than females. According to the report, 63% of Facebook staff are men.
However, the company is working extra hard to increase diversity in its workforce as the percentage of male employees continues to trend down compared to the rise of the female workforce.
For instance, these numbers are more impressive considering the 69% of the male workforce population in 2014.
4. India is the largest user base with the most active Facebook users
India has the highest number of active Facebook users at 330 million (Statista, January 2022).
The United States comes second at 180 million users.
Only Indonesia (130 million) and Brazil (116 million) are the other countries in the world to have over 100 million active Facebook users.
This deep penetration in other countries (especially non-English speaking countries) can be attributed to the fact that there are 111 different languages supported on Facebook, while Facebook’s AI Translator works with 200 languages.
5. Facebook has a broad, highly engaged user base
With over 2.96 billion monthly active users, Facebook is currently the world’s largest social media platform (Facebook, 2023).
On average, Facebook users open the app at least eight times a day, with the average US user spending at least 33 minutes a day on the app.
Average daily time spent on selected social networks by adults in the United States from 2017 to 2022, by platform (Source: Statista)
Out of at least five hours spent by US users on their apps daily, much of it is spent on Facebook. Facebook takes up 19% of the total time, which is approximately 57 minutes.
This is more than they spend on any other app, including music, video, shopping, among others.
6. What are Facebook’s engagement and conversion rates?
The average CTR on Facebook Ads is 0.90%.
Across all these industries, the highest engagement rate on Facebook is 0.19%, while the median is 0.08%.
Influencers (at 0.19%) and sports teams (0.18%) have seen the highest engagement rates, while tech & software at 0.2% and media (0.05%) experience the least engagement rates.
As you can see, the number of posts shared does not directly impact the engagement rates. The content being shared has a bigger impact on boosting your audience’s engagement.
7. What is the best time to post on Facebook?
A lot of research has been done to help determine the best times to post on Facebook. However, even though most sources give out different answers, the bottom line remains the same: it all depends on what your brand is all about and who your target audience is.
According to Hubspot, the best time to post on Facebook during the week is at 9 A.M. This is also loosely translated to 8 A.M in some regions. This time would be ideal as this is when most people are checking on their social media platforms as they commute to work.
According to a study by Sprout Social, Facebook posts perform better on Wednesdays and worst on Sundays.
8. What is the most popular type of content on Facebook?
According to data from Statista on the Average Facebook page fan engagement with selected post types worldwide during January 2022, status posts have the “highest level of engagement from page fans, having an interaction rate of 0.13 percent.”
The average Facebook page fan engagement with posts on a page was 0.07 percent. The least popular content type is link posts which only get 0.03% engagement rates.
9. How many marketers use Facebook?
160 million businesses use Meta apps (Facebook, Instagram, Messenger or WhatsApp to reach customers) every month.
Unlike most other social media platforms like SnapChat, LinkedIn, and TikTok, Facebook statistics indicate that the platform is ideal for all people (regardless of their age, gender, or financial status).
For instance, Snapchat and TikTok are more focused on the younger generation (Millennials and Gen Zs), while LinkedIn is ideal for working professionals.
On the other hand, Facebook is a platform that can be used by all ages, from boomers to Gen Zs. It makes it the holy grail for marketers that wish to advertise products or services with a broad target audience.
Besides being able to reach their target audience, Facebook has made it easier for brands to interact with their customers as they enhance and build their relationships.
Also, Facebook has also put measures in place to make it easy for marketers to refine their marketing strategies to help target the right audience.
Using Facebook as the preferred marketing platform allows marketers to save up on time and costs.
10. 31% of American social media users get their news from Facebook
31% of Americans who use Facebook claim to get their news from such it. Out of the total number of those surveyed, a quarter of them regularly get news from YouTube, while smaller shares get news from Twitter (14%), Instagram (13%), TikTok (10%) or Reddit (8%).
We are also gradually shifting away from the fake news era as platforms such as Facebook have implemented new fact-checking policies to ensure that whatever is shared on the platform is correct and accurate and does not mislead other users.
Photo Credit: Unsplash