Parent company: Bytedance
Founded: September 2016
CEO: Vanessa Pappas
Headquarters: Culver City, California
Quick TikTok Statistics
Total Number of Monthly Active Users:
1.8 billion (Source)
Last updated: 23/02/23
Total Number of TikTok Downloads in 2022:
672 million (Source)
Last updated: 23/02/23
Consumer Spending on TikTok in Q4 2022:
$6 billion (Source)
Last updated: 23/02/23
Total Number of Monthly Active Users in the U.S.:
94.1 million (Source)
Last updated: 23/02/23
Total Value of TikTok:
$75 billion (Source)
Last updated: 23/02/23
Estimated TikTok revenue in 2022:
$11.65 billion (Source)
Last updated: 23/02/23
- 54% of TikTok users are female and 46% are male.
- Roughly 5% of TikTok’s global audience are women between 18 and 24 years old.
- Around 17% of the platform’s audience are men between 18 and 24 years old.
- 55+ year-olds are the smallest group on TikTok, at 1.7%.
- As of 2023, the S. has the most TikTok users (113 million), followed by Indonesia (110 million), Brazil (82 million), and Mexico (58 million).
- Looking at TikTok penetration by nation, Saudi Arabia leads the way with around 9 in 10 (87.9%) over 18 years old using the app.
Number of TikTok users per year
Number of Users (In millions)
TikTok Financial Statistics
- As of Q4 2022, TikTok raked in $11.65 billion in ad revenue.
- TikTok is currently valued at $75 billion.
- Bytedance, TikTok’s parent company, is valued at $250 billion.
- ByteDance reportedly saw its revenue grow to $31.7 billion in 2022.
- As of 2022, TikTok and Douyin have a 22% market share.
- Insider Intelligence expects TikTok ad revenue to hit $23.58 billion by 2024, placing the app at a level similar to YouTube’s.
- TikTok users spend an average of 95 minutes per day on the app.
- An average user opens TikTok 19 times per day.
- TikTok is available in 154 countries.
- TikTok was the most downloaded app in 2022 with 672 million downloads.
- TikTok is used by 18% of global internet users aged 16 to 64.
- TikTok’s headquarters are in Beijing, China.
- There were about 200 million users of TikTok in India before it got banned.
- 68 percent of TikTok users watch someone else’s video and 55 percent upload their own videos.
- TikTok is available in 75 languages.
- Entertainment content has accumulated 535 billion hashtag views
- The second most viewed content category is ‘Dance’ with 181 billion hashtag views.
- 9 of the top 10 countries by TikTok penetration rate are located in Asia.
- Most TikTok creators (52.8%) are young adults aged 18-24.
- The most-viewed video in 2022 was Amaury Gichon’s video of a massive chocolate giraffe from May, which garnered 6 million views.
- The most followed individual on TikTok is Charli d’Amelio with over 141 million followers.
- The second most-followed individual is Khaby Lame with 140 million followers.
- Around 5% of the total usage numbers for TikTok come from Android.
- It took 200 days for the development team to create the original version of Douyin/TikTok.
- Chinese version of TikTok is called Douyin in China and it’s a slightly different app.
- The most followed person on Douyin is the Chinese male actor Andy Lau with over 77 million fans in China.
- TikTok is currently banned in 5 countries including China (where Douyin operates), India and Afghanistan.
- TikTok owners bought Musical.ly for $1 billion.
- Tiktok has an in-app currency (coins) that users can use to send gifts to other creators.
Top TikTok Statistics (Editor’s choice)
1. TikTok User Statistics
The latest TikTok statistics indicate that the social media platform had almost 2 billion monthly active users globally (Business of Apps).
These figures place the popular app as the 6th largest platform, well ahead of others that have been there for a lot longer such as Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.
The 1.8 billion user statistics do not, however, include users from China, as the app operates in the country under a different name.
Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok boasted of up to 700 million daily active users in 2022. This makes both versions of the app have over 2.5 billion daily active users worldwide.
2. TikTok Download Statistics
TikTok stats indicate that the platform cloaked its first billion downloads in February 2019, gaining half a billion more in just under 8 months. These figures are nothing short of impressive considering that it was only launched in 2016.
With over 672 million downloads in 2022, TikTok is one of the few social media platforms to have had over a billion downloads, such as Facebook.
It was only in January 2021 that TikTok was beaten in terms of total app downloads by the messaging app Telegram which cloaked in 63 million downloads. TikTok followed closely behind with 62 million downloads during that month.
3. TikTok Demographics: Age
TikTok has really hit the nail on the head when it comes to the younger generation. These figures are however changing fast, as the older generation picks up the nitty-gritty of the app.
In 2022, 21.5% of TikTok’s global audience were women between the ages of 18 and 24 years, while male users of the same age made up approximately 17% of the platform’s audience.
There were also 17% of female users aged between 25 and 34 years, and 15% of male users in the same age group.
In the U.S., the biggest TikTok age group in 2022 were 18-19-year-olds (67%), followed by 20-29-year-olds (56%.)
So why is TikTok so popular among the younger generation? Simply put, it is by design. In a way, TikTok creators understood the younger generation in a much better way, and this could be evidenced by the fact that their initial target audience was users aged 18 and below.
Only Snapchat remains to be the social media platform with more popularity among US teens.
TikTok offers the young ones a platform to express themselves creatively while sharing videos of themselves dancing, singing, or lip-synching to their favourite or trendy tunes.
4. TikTok Demographics: Gender
These numbers have been consistent for a long, with only a few dips. However, the trend may change if what we saw recently becomes the new norm.
There are 17% of female users aged between 25 and 34 years and 15% of male users in the same age group.
5. How Many Countries is TikTok Available In?
While there are many strategies that the parent company (Bytedance) used to penetrate most parts of the world, many experts attribute TikTok’s success in the west to its predecessor Musical.ly and Douyin for its Eastern users.
TikTok did an impressive job trying to increase its Asian followers. There were about 200 million TikTok active users in India and 43 million downloads in Pakistan before it got banned in the countries.
There are currently three other countries that have banned the app including Bangladesh, Indonesia, and China. The ban in India was a result of the ban of other Chinese apps which the government thought was used to spy on its sovereignty.
Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Pakistan all banned the app on various grounds, including the promotion of ‘indecency’ and cyberbullying.
Douyin, which is the Chinese version of TikTok is the only permitted version in mainland China, meaning the global version of TikTok isn’t available within the country.
Besides being a popular app in Asian countries, TikTok has been gradually rising in other parts of the world, especially in Europe.
According to the latest TikTok statistics, countries like Poland and Norway have experienced a surge in the rise of TikTok downloads over the last couple of months.
6. TikTok Usage Frequency
In other words, nine out of ten TikTok users open the app multiple times daily
The average time spent on TikTok is 1.5 hours per day.
Moreover, 18.68% of Americans with mobile internet users log in every day, which makes TikTok one of the platforms where users consume different content throughout the day.
Also, the average posting frequency for a single user is 20 videos per month, which can lead to TikTok being the social media app with the highest ROI pretty soon.
Most users prefer TikTok as a source of entertainment.
However, despite the obvious fact that more people prefer watching than creating content, there are still millions of videos uploaded on the platform daily. This is a clear indicator of the creative freedom that TikTok offers as a social platform.
7. TikTok Engagement Rates
It is clear that TikTok has the highest engagement from users than other social platforms.
TikTok engagement rate is calculated as the sum of likes, comments, and shares, divided by the number of views.
Thus, the formula can be written as the following:
((Number of likes + number of comments + number of shares) / number of views) * 100%.
TikTok’s audience is far more engaged compared to that of other platforms like Instagram, whose engagement rates only depend on the profile’s audience size.
For instance, TikTok creators with over 500,000 followers on average have a higher engagement rate than those with only 20,000 followers. However, they will have lower engagement rates than creators with only 5,000 followers.
Marketers also have to take note of these engagement rates, as a TikTok account with 100,000+ followers has an engagement rate of 5.30% compared to Instagram’s 1.10% and Twitter’s 0.30%.
8. How Much do TikTokers Make?
The easiest way to earn money on TikTok is through ‘gifting’ via the app’s virtual currency.
On average, a TikToker with approximately 500k followers with good engagement levels can expect up to $450 in gifts, which they can redeem as cash.
Other ways standard influencer monetization methods on TikTok include:
- Brand partnerships
- Cross promotions
- Selling merchandise
- Getting paid to attend brand events, etc.
Here’s how much TikTok influencers earn per sponsored post as of 2023:
Earnings (In USD)
9. TikTok is Super Addictive
TikTok users are on the app more times a day than any other social media platform.
With an average daily active time of 1.5 hours, the younger generation tends to spend more time on the app.
The TikTok algorithm is mainly to blame for this addiction. The system is able to detect the type of content that you prefer watching most of the time and then it customizes the upcoming content to your liking. This makes the user keep staying in the app for longer periods.
Other reasons that could be behind the TikTok addiction are:
- The ease of access – all you have to do is open the app and let the algorithm do its job, no need to manually search for videos.
- Short duration videos
- Helps people stay on the trends, such as knowing and taking part in the latest challenges, e.g., the bottle cap challenge, kiki challenge, etc.
10. Top TikTok Content Categories
As of 2023, the most popular content categories on the video-sharing social app TikTok are entertainment, dance, pranks and fitness/sports.
The most viewed content category on the app was entertainment content, with this category having accumulated 535 billion hashtag views collectively.
The second most viewed content category was dance with a total of 181 billion hashtag views (Backlinko, 2022).
Most popular content categories on TikTok worldwide as of 2023, by number of hashtag views in billions (Source: Backlinko)
Creators in the entertainment category mainly deal with comedy, special effects, and other non-traditional methods of entertainment.
The most followed TikTokers are creators in the “dance” category.
Photo Credit: Unsplash