I think you’ll agree with me when I say that a marketing strategy is incomplete if it doesn’t address the digital channels.
The average marketing spend increased from 6.4% in 2021 to 9.5% of company revenue across almost all industries in 2022, according to Gartner’s annual CMO Spend and Strategy Survey. This only goes on to show the importance of channels like social media, content, SEO, video, and more.
If you are a numbers nerd or love data, you’ll love these digital marketing statistics that we’ve curated from over dozen of studies and research.
SEO Statistics 2022
1. As of July 2022, Google holds 83.84% of the global desktop search engine market share.
2. Organic search results that rank on page 1 of Google contain an average of 1,447 words.
3. In 2021, 36% of SEO experts thought the headline/title tag was the most important SEO element.
4. 62% of B2B marketers see SEO algorithms as important to them.
5. Quality Content and Link Building are the key to SEO success.
6. SEO generates 1000% more traffic than social media.
7. B2B Companies generate 2X more revenue from Organic Search than any other channel, according to the same report.
8. The #1 result in Google has a CTR of 27.6%.
9. 75% of users visit the first page of search results only.
10. 68% of all clicks go to the first five positions in search results.
11. Historical optimization is an important part of an SEO strategy because 92% of HubSpot’s monthly blog leads came from “old” posts, according to the same source.
12. There has been 500% growth for phrases like “near me now.”
13. About ½ the websites on Google’s front page are in HTTPS.
14. Almost 85% of people will abandon a purchase if they’re dealing with an unsecured website, according to the same source.
15. Except for SEO, 87% of video marketers say that video has increased traffic to their websites.
16. 70% of marketers see SEO as more effective than PPC.
17. Long-tail keyword searches have a click-through rate 3-5% higher than generic searches.
18. Target keyword ranking #1 generates a typical CTR of 39.6%. That’s more than double the CTR for 2nd position, 18.4%, and nearly 4x the CTR for 3rd position, 10.1%, according to the same source.
19. 86.5% of businesses say that PPC campaigns help inform/assist their SEO efforts.
20. Search engine optimization can increase the business value of a blog visit by 429%.
21. 89% of marketers say their SEO is successful.
22. 55% of businesses invest in professional SEO services.
23. Updating an existing title tag with an SEO optimised one can increase page clicks by more than 437%.
24. Just 0.83% of Clicks go to Websites on Page 2 of Google, according to the same source.
25. 70% of clicks in Google search results go to organic, with 30% going to AdWords, according to the same source.
Social Media Statistics 2022
26. 4.65 billion people have some type of social media account.
27. 59% of the global population uses social media in 2022.
28. Social has annual growth of 5.1%, at an average rate of more than 7 new users every single second.
29. The world’s most-used social media platforms in 2022 are Facebook, YouTube, and WhatsApp.
30. The average person bounces between 7 different social networks per month.
31. In 2022, people spend 147 minutes on average on social media.
32. Facebook is responsible for a quarter of all digital ad spending (25%) versus Google (28.9%), Amazon (10.3%) and others (35.6%) in 2020 alone.
33. TikTok is the fastest-growing social network with a staggering 105% user growth rate in the US over the past two years.
34. Uses of the “#ad” tag on Instagram decreased 17% over the past year among influencers — it hints at both a shift in platforms and tactics in the influencer space.
35. 44% of users shop for products on Instagram weekly (and 28% of those shopping activities are pre-planned).
36. There are 200 million+ businesses on Instagram.
37. 619 million people are using SnapChat.
38. 1 billion+ videos are watched per day on YouTube.
39. Tweets with videos are 6x more likely to be retweeted than Tweets with photos and 3x more than Tweets with GIFs.
40. Twitter is one of the preferred social networks for news consumption.
41. YouTube services are available in more than 100 countries.
42. 31% of Instagram users are 18-24 years old.
43. Main reasons for using social media are to keep in touch with friends and family, followed by filling spare time and reading news stories.
44. An ad on LinkedIn can reach 14.6% of the world’s population.
45. Brands have seen a 33% increase in purchase intent resulting from ad exposure on LinkedIn.
46. Marketers see up to 2x higher conversion rates on LinkedIn.
47. Worldwide, people spend an average of 2 hours and 27 minutes per day on social media
48. Branded content on social media is twice as likely to interest millennials than those who are aged between 55 and 64.
49. In 2023, social media video ad spending will grow by 15.8% to $28.21 billion.
Mobile Marketing Statistics 2022
52. Global mobile internet advertising spending will surpass $400 billion in 2023.
55. The United States is the world’s leader in mobile advertising spending.
56. 31% of retail spending was made on mobile devices in the U.S.
57. Of the total digital advertising spend worldwide, 60% is on mobile.
58. 93% use the internet on smartphones to discover local businesses.
59. On average, people spend around five hours a day on their smartphones.
60. People in the U.S. spend 49% of their phone time on social media apps.
61. Mobile ad spend in the U.S. was always bigger than desktop ad spend. This trend will continue until 2025.
62. When it comes to immediate needs, 3 out of 4 mobile users go to mobile search first.
63. 75% of Americans take their mobile device to the bathroom.
64. With a market share of 72.48%, Android is the world’s most popular mobile operating system.
65. More than 50% of small businesses have a mobile app.
66. You lose 61% of users if your site is not optimized for mobile.
67. 40% of users that have a bad experience with the mobile version of your website go directly to your competitor shortly after.
68. When searching on mobile, Google is the preferred choice of 96% of smartphone users.
69. There’s a 270% gap in conversion between desktop and mobile.
70. The number of mobile devices is forecast to reach 16.8 billion by 2023.
71. 40% of shoppers consult 3 or more channels (often while shopping) before making a purchase.
72. 70% of mobile searches lead to online action within an hour.
73. 52.2% of all website traffic is generated from mobile phones.
74. 52% of PPC clicks come from mobile
75. 66% of emails are read on a smartphone or tablet.
76. 18% of Facebook users only use the platform on mobile
77. 2/3 of customers will most likely purchase from businesses whose website or apps adapt the information to their location.
Content Marketing Statistics 2022
80. 82% of marketers are actively investing in content marketing, 10% report not using content marketing, and 8% are unsure if their company uses content marketing.
81. 43% of B2B marketers have a documented content marketing strategy, and 60% of the most successful B2B marketers have a documented content marketing strategy.
82. 73% of people admit to skimming blog posts, while 27% consume them thoroughly.
83. 51% of the businesses that invest in content marketing publish content every day.
84. Although 32% of respondents say they are overwhelmed by the amount of content available, a majority (44%) say they typically consume three to five pieces of content before engaging with a vendor.
85. 81% of marketers view content as a core business strategy.
86. B2B marketers reported content marketing being most effective in creating brand awareness (80%), building credibility/trust (75%), and educating audiences (70%).
87. Long articles/posts stood out as an area where those who are most successful reported better results than respondents overall (43% vs. 32%).
88. 93% of content marketers believe that video converts the same or better than other forms of content.
89. In the early stages of their buyer’s journeys, 81% of B2B buyers report enjoying listicles, 72% infographics, 66% blogs, and 62% videos.
90. 86% say video has helped them generate leads.
91. 44% of users consume 3-5 pieces of content before engaging with a business.
92. 94% of content marketers use social media for content distribution.
93. Consistently creating engaging visual content is the biggest struggle for 36.7% of marketers.
94. It is projected that content marketing revenue in 2023 will be $88 billion.
95. 90% of respondents used short articles or posts for content marketing purposes in the last 12 months.
96. 85% of marketers who use webinars as a marketing tool say that webinars are crucial for their marketing efforts
97. 76% of content marketers use organic traffic as a key metric to measuring content success. Only 22% use backlinks.
98. 94% of content marketers are using social media as a distribution channel for their content.
99. 79% of organizations have 1 to 10 people creating content.
100. The majority of marketers (62%) look at page views to know how well their content is performing.
101. 45% of businesses choose content marketing for brand awareness.
Email Marketing Statistics 2022
104. There are 4 billion daily email users.
105. A majority of marketers using email leverage mobile-friendly emails as part of their marketing strategy.
107. 33% of marketers send weekly emails and 26% send emails multiple times per month.
108. 77% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months.
109. The most effective strategies for email marketing campaigns are subscriber segmentation (78%), message personalization (72%), and email automation campaigns (71%).
110. Worldwide email marketing revenue is expected to go over $10 billion in 2023.
111. 81% of B2B marketers say their most used form of content marketing is email newsletters.
112. 15.8% of all emails go missing or have been caught by popular spam filters.
113. Globally, Mondays see the highest email open rates (22%), compared to the lowest open rates (20.5%) on Saturdays.
114. Best day with highest click-through rates is Tuesday (2.4%).
115. Email marketing has an average return rate of $41 for every $1 spent.
116. Almost 37% of marketers continue sending the same volume of email even when recipients aren’t very engaged.
117. 30% of marketers email people until they unsubscribe
118. 99% of email users check their inbox every day, with some checking 20 times a day.
119. Consumers spend an average of 10 seconds reading brand emails.
120. 40% of consumers say they have at least 50 unread emails in their inbox.
121. Email is the leading way consumers in the U.S. discover coupons from brands.
122. 59% of Millennials primarily use their smartphone to check email, while 67% of Generation Z scans their inbox on mobile.
123. 74% of Baby Boomers think email is the most personal channel to receive communications from brands, followed by 72% of Gen X, 64% of Millennials, and 60% of Gen Z.
124. 30% of professionals surveyed said the biggest benefit of marketing automation was the time it saved them.
125. 61% of consumers enjoy receiving promotional emails weekly.
126. Segmented emails make readers 50% more likely to click on a link within the email.
127. 99% of email users check their email every day, some as much as 20 times a day.
128. 86% of business professionals prefer to use email when communicating for business purposes.
Blogging Statistics 2022
129. Approximately 4.4 million blog posts are created every day.
130. Adding a blog to your existing website can increase traffic by as much as 434%.
131. 77% of internet users read blogs.
132. The average blog post is 2,330 words.
133. Seven-minute reads attract the most attention from the internet audience.
134. The top blogs make over $1m+ per year.
135. 86% of content marketers use blog posts as part of their strategy
136. Companies that blog get x2 the email traffic compared to those that don’t.
137. 61% of US consumers spend 3x as long consuming blog content than email content.
138. Businesses with blogs get 97% more inbound links.
139. There are roughly 70 million new WordPress blog posts published each month.
140. 22% of bloggers post 2-3 times per week.
141. 95% of all blog traffic goes to page-1 results.
142. The ideal blog post length (for SEO) is 2,100 – 2,400 words.
143. Most experts think marketers should target 2-5 keywords in each blog post.
144. 68.52% of surveyed bloggers agreed that blogs help add credibility to a website.
145. 62% of millennials say that a brand’s online content is what keeps them loyal to the company.
146. Long-form content gets an average of 77.2% more backlinks than shorter articles.
147. Having content that’s backed by data is 73% more persuasive than publishing a post without one.
148. Longer (3,000 to 10,000 words) posts get the most shares.
149. 23% of bloggers reported that they need 2–3 hours to write a blog post.
150. 38% of bloggers who spend at least 6 hours writing a post report great results.
151. 67% of bloggers that post once per day report excellent results.
152. Headlines with a question mark get 23.3% more social shares than non-question headlines.
153. Articles with 1 or more lists drive 2X more traffic.
Digital Marketing Fun Facts
154. 20% of people will read the text on a page, but 80% of people will watch a video. So if you’re reading this, you’re in the minority.
155. 70% of consumers prefer blog posts to ads.
156. If you’re looking for the country with the most Facebook users, you’re going to have a look past the spot where it was created to the highly populated country of India. In April of 2020, with 280 million users, this country has embraced social networking.
157. Only 2% of LinkedIn members have not joined any groups.
158. 8% of marketers claim that original graphics helped them reach their marketing goals,
159. Only 17% of B2B purchasers are looking to use an online chat feature. They would much prefer using email to get in touch with a distributor.
160. Pinterest pins are worth 63 cents each.
161. 64% of purchasing decisions of customers rely on blogs than newspapers.
162. The average business professional is sending and receiving 121 emails a day! That’s an awful lot of information to ignore!
163. Tweets with images get 35% more retweets than those without.
Note: Please link back to OmnicoreAgency.com and this page when you reference/quote the statistic.
Photo Credit: Unsplash