Founded: March, 2006
CEO: Jack Dorsey
Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
Employees: 6,100 (source)
Quick Twitter Statistics
Total Number of Monetizable Daily Active Users:
217 million (source)
Last updated: 21/02/22
Total Number of Tweets Sent per Day:
500 million (source)
Last updated: 21/02/22
Q4 2022 Total Twitter Revenue:
$1.57 billion (source)
Last updated: 21/02/22
The number of US Adults Who Use Twitter:
Last updated: 21/02/22
- 70.4% of Twitter users are male, while only 29.6% are female.
- Around 23% of U.S. adults use Twitter.
- Worldwide monetizable Daily Active Users (mDAU) in Q4 2021 were 217 million.
- In the US in Q4 2021, there was 38 million monetizable Daily Active Users (mDAU)
- In the US, 46% of Twitter users report using Twitter daily.
- 6.45 million Canadian adults use Twitter.
- Most of Twitter’s audience is 25 to 34 years old (38.5%.)
- 27% Twitter users live in urban areas, while only 18% come from rural areas.
- People who use Twitter mostly have college degree or more (33%.)
- Twitter is the fifth social network platform in Japan by popularity.
- 25% of U.S. Twitter users are males and 22% of U.S. Twitter users are female.
- 34% of Americans who use Twitter earn $75k+, while 29% of them earn $30k-$49.999.
- The leading countries based on the number of Twitter users are the U.S. (77.75 million users), Japan (58.2 million users) and India (24.45 million users.)
Number of annual Twitter total users
Number of users (In millions)
Twitter Financial Statistics
- Twitter net worth as of January 2022 is $35B.
- Total Twitter revenue for 2021 was $5.08 billion.
- Q4 2021 Twitter revenue totaled $1.57 billion
- Q1 2021 US Twitter revenue totaled $885 million
- Twitter International revenue totaled $683 million in Q4 2021
- Cost per engagement (CPE) increased 39% year-over-year in Q4 2021.
Twitter revenue per year
Revenue in USD
Twitter Usage Statistics
- In 2021, the average US adult spent 6 minutes on Twitter per day.
- 391 million Twitter accounts have no followers at all.
- 30% of Twitter users say they visit the platform several times a day.
- Around seven-in-ten U.S. Twitter users (69%) say they get news on the site.
- 50% of Canadian Twitter users access the platform daily.
- There are 500 million tweets sent per day by March 2021.
Twitter Advertising Statistics
- Twitter advertising revenue totaled $1.412.937 in Q4 2021, a 24% increase from Q3 2021.
- Total ad engagements decreased 12% “due to a mix shift toward lower funnel ad formats and 15-second video views, which, although they have higher cost per engagement (CPE), generally have lower engagement rates.”
- Cost per engagement (CPE) increased 39% year-over-year according to official Q4 2021 reports.
- Q4 2021 revenue reached $1.57 billion, with ad revenue of $1.41 billion, both up 22% year over year.
- Twitter turned 15 in March 2021.
- American Twitter users are more likely to be Democrats than Republicans.
- Twitter suspended 44,000 accounts for promoting terrorism in 2021.
- Every month, around 500 million people access Twitter without logging in.
- The most tweeted emojis of 2020 were 😂 and 😭
- @BarackObama is the most followed person on Twitter with 130 million followers.
- @justinbieber is the most followed musician/ entertainer on Twitter with 114.4 million followers.
- @Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed sports personality on Twitter with 92.1 million followers.
- @cnnbrk (CNN Breaking News) is the most followed news outlet on Twitter, with 61.3 million followers.
- 44% of all Twitter accounts have been created and left without ever sending a Tweet.
- The average person has 707 followers on Twitter.
- 19% of people will unfollow a brand on Twitter based on poor hashtag usage.
- Twitter is currently blocked in China, Iran, North Korea, and is often inaccessible in Turkmenistan.
- Tweets with GIFs get 55% more engagement than those without. However, only 2% of Tweets contain GIFs.
- Twitter is one of the preferred social network for news consumption.
- 90% of the US population is familiar with Twitter (even if they don’t use it.)
Twitter Statistics (Editor’s choice)
1. Number of Twitter users
There are currently 217 million monetizable daily active users on Twitter (Twitter, 2022).
Twitter’s numbers have been on a gradual rise ever since its launch back in 2006, apart from a few drops from 2015. This trend would continue until the platform hit its peak in Q1 2018 when it clocked in 336 million monthly active users.
The platform hit a downward trend, and by the end of 2018, the numbers fell to 321 million monthly active users. Twitter reported that the decline in the number of monthly active users was mainly related to its crackdown on spam and bot accounts.
What followed was a slight recovery to 330 million monthly active users in Q1 2019, after which Twitter changed its reporting method to ‘Monetizable Daily Active Users’. The numbers thereafter would be reported as 145 million in “mDAUs” in Q3 2019.
The latest figures indicate that the average monetizable DAU reached 217 million, up 13% year-over-year.
2. USA leads with the highest number of Twitter users in the world
As of January 2022, the USA was the country with the highest number of Twitter users for the previous year with 38 million mDAUs (Twitter, 2022).
The US also has the most Twitter users in the world, with an audience reach of 77.75 million.
As of Q4 2021, Twitter reported that the average US mDAU was 38 million, compared to 37 million in Q4 2020.
3. Twitter demographics: Age
Most of Twitter’s audience is 25 to 34 years old (38.5%.)
While TikTok and Snapchat have snapped up the younger generation, Twitter also has its target crowd that it appeals to. According to the latest statistics from Statista, it is pretty clear that Twitter appeals to a more mature audience than Snapchat or Instagram.
4. Daily Tweet statistics
On average, 500 million tweets are shared every day. This can be further broken down to 6,000 tweets per second, 350,000 tweets per minute, and around 200 billion tweets every year.
The first tweet was sent on March 21, 2006, by Jack Dorsey, the creator of Twitter. It wasn’t until May 2009 that Twitter will have seen 1 billion tweets being shared. Today, it only takes at most two days to get a billion tweets shared on the platform.
According to Twitter, the daily limit per user is 2,400 tweets.
5. Twitter business statistics
The following are important Twitter statistics for marketers:
82% of B2B content marketers use Twitter for organic content marketing. Twitter is ranked equally as Facebook for this particular statistic.
93% of people that follow small and medium-sized businesses on Twitter plan to buy from them, according to a joint study conducted by Twitter and Research Now. Consequently, 69% of Twitter users claim have bought from SMBs whose content they saw on the platform.
6. Ad engagement on Twitter
Although we’ve seen a 12% ad engagement decrease on Twitter in 2021, the year saw a 13% mDAU increase compared to 2020
With the cost per engagement (CPE) having increased 39% year-over-year, Twitter continues to grow as the marketing hub for business owners. However, the company hints to marketers that different content types perform and would cost differently when used to advertise.
For instance, according to a report by Twitter, video ads save more than 50% on cost-per-engagement.
7. The most popular content on Twitter with the highest engagement
Twitter supports various forms of media, including images, text, GIFs, and video. By looking at video marketing statistics, it would be safe to claim that videos will soon take over online content marketing.
Ad engagements shift toward lower funnel ad formats and 15-second video views.
According to Twitter, tweets with videos are 6x more likely to be Retweeted than Tweets with photos and 3x more than Tweets with GIFs.
8. Most popular emojis on Twitter
As we await official communication on the most used emojis in 2021, the most tweeted emoji of 2020 on Twitter was 😂 (laughing/ face with tears of joy emoji), closely followed by 😭 (crying emoji).
According to emojitracker, the laughing/ face with tears of joy emoji is the most popular emoji on the platform, having been used over 3.2 billion times (Emojitracker, 2021)
With much of the world staying home more due to the Coronavirus pandemic, #StayHome was the 3rd biggest hashtag of the year. It’s no surprise that the 🛋 (house) emoji usage went up 40%.
Tweets about cooking nearly tripled in 2020 and within the first weeks of the pandemic restrictions, there were on average half a million daily tweets about cooking and baking.
Note: Please link back to omnicoreagency.com and this page when you reference/quote the statistic.
Photo Credit: Unsplash